Life by Design Therapy
When you’re feeling overwhelmed or self-critical, trying to force yourself to "just be positive" rarely works.
In fact, telling yourself you should be practicing self-compassion can quickly feel like just another thing on your to-do list that you're somehow failing at.
Self-compassion isn't something you have to force.
Instead of demanding an immediate shift in how you feel, try trading judgment for simple curiosity.
Asking gentle, open-ended questions creates space for your nervous system to settle without any added pressure.
Here’s how you can shift the conversation with yourself:
🌿 Instead of: "I need to relax." Try asking: "What happens in my body when I actually slow down?"
🛡️ Instead of: "I shouldn't feel this way." Try asking: "What might this reaction be trying to protect me from?"
🤍 Instead of: "Why can't I just be kinder to myself?" Try asking: "What would actually feel supportive to me right now?"
When you replace self-criticism with quiet curiosity, you stop fighting against where you are and open the door to real, meaningful relief.
Save this for the next time you feel caught in a self-critical moment and need a gentle shift in perspective. 📌
If you’re in California and ready to move past harsh self-talk, understand your nervous system, and build a warmer connection with yourself, our team at Life By Design Therapy™ is here to walk alongside you.
Click the link in our bio to book your free phone consultation today.
https://www.lifebydesigntherapy.com/blog/the-real-reason-self-compassion-feels-uncomfortable
#SelfCompassion #CuriosityOverJudgment #NervousSystemRegulation #SomaticAwareness #SelfTalkMatters

Comments
Post a Comment