Best Relationship Therapy in Berkeley CA

 


One of the most common things we see in therapy is people struggling to tell the difference between a healthy boundary and emotional withdrawal.

And honestly, it makes sense.

When conversations feel overwhelming, conflict feels unsafe, or emotions start running high, many of us instinctively pull back to protect ourselves.

The challenge is that not all distance creates the same outcome.

A healthy boundary creates space to regulate, reflect, and communicate needs with clarity. It helps preserve both your well-being and the relationship.

Stonewalling, on the other hand, often leaves the other person feeling shut out, confused, or disconnected. What may feel protective in the moment can unintentionally create more distance over time.

If you've ever found yourself wondering, "Am I setting a boundary, or am I shutting down?" you're asking an important question.

The goal isn't to stay engaged when you're overwhelmed. It's to learn how to take space in a way that still supports connection.

Sometimes that sounds like:

✨ "I need a few minutes to gather my thoughts, but I'd like to come back to this conversation."

✨ "I'm feeling overwhelmed right now and need a pause."

✨ "This is important to me, and I want to talk about it when I can be more present."

Healthy boundaries don't push people away. They help create the safety needed for honest, respectful connections.

🌿 If this distinction feels familiar, therapy can help you better understand your patterns, strengthen communication skills, and build relationships that feel both supportive and sustainable.

If you’re in California and you’re ready to help your relationship step out of survival mode and back into deep, secure safety, we’re right here to walk through it with you.

Click the link in our bio to book a free phone consultation.

https://www.lifebydesigntherapy.com/holistic-somatic-therapists


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy for Couples Looking to Reconnect

Talk Therapy

Holistic Therapy