Holistic and Somatic Therapists in Bay Area

 


Some statements, no matter how well-meaning, will never be helpful to someone who is struggling with their mental health. Here's why...

💙 When you say "It's all in your head..."
YOU HEAR: "You don't need to worry about it because it's not real!"
BUT THEY HEAR: "Your worries aren't valid, no matter how real they feel."

💙 When you say "It could be worse..."
YOU HEAR: "Be grateful for what you do have."
BUT THEY HEAR: "You don't have a right to your negative feelings."

💙 When you say "Have you tried X?"
YOU HEAR: "I'm making a helpful suggestion for my loved one."
BUT THEY HEAR: "Ugh, another unsolicited recommendation that doesn't work."

💙 When you say "Just stay positive!"
YOU HEAR: "I just want you to be happy."
BUT THEY HEAR: "I'm burdening my loved one with my negative feelings."

What other unhelpful statements did we miss? Let us know in the comments below!


https://www.lifebydesigntherapy.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Trauma Therapy

COVID-19 Free Resources To Support You and Your Family

New Parents Needing Support