Somatic Therapy in Berkeley and Richmond


Ashley’s Q & A

Specializing in Somatic Therapy in Berkeley and Richmond

GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ASHLEY

WHY DID YOU BECOME A THERAPIST?

My path to becoming a therapist is woven out of an intense desire to get answers; answers to big questions about suffering and unfathomable injustice. For me, healing our interpersonal wounds translates into creating new ways of relating to each other. Ultimately, our relationships to ourselves and one another can manifest new societies rooted in dignity and respect. Becoming a therapist was one (of many) answers to my question: how do radical shifts, individually and collectively, happen?

HOW DO YOU IDENTIFY?

I identify as a queer, able-bodied and cis-gendered woman with class and race privilege. My identity has been shaped by the intersections of intimate partner and state violence, addiction, white privilege, social and economic capital, homophobia and sexism. I am a partner, a friend and a daughter.

WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT YOUR WORK WITH CLIENTS?

When I am working with my clients, I feel inspired and grounded. I love co-creating and being in the moment with people. I live for being a part of those “ah hah/self-awareness/self-acceptance” moments. I love learning about what you love in life because then I learn to love those things, too, and my heart expands to include you — all of you.

IN YOUR OPINION, HOW DOES HEALING HAPPEN?

I believe healing happens when we feel deeply understood and cared for. Healing happens in powerful community action and when we invite ourselves to feel powerful. I believe healing happens over time and sometimes when we least expect it. Healing happens when we give ourselves the time and space to be in the moment with another person who holds our experience with compassion.

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR SELF-CARE?

Finding what “self-care” means is a form of self-care. For me, self-care is spaciousness. It is being aware and kind to myself for listening, acknowledging and following through with what I would really enjoy doing in that moment. I work becoming aware of what I enjoy about a person, place or thing; on how I know I enjoy it (emotionally, somatically, spiritually), then figuring out what I want to do next. In the recent past, I have whole-heartedly enjoyed making homemade yogurt, talking to people I meet waiting in lines and organizing my photo albums.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Trauma Therapy

COVID-19 Free Resources To Support You and Your Family

New Parents Needing Support